Monday, August 9, 2010

Art Walk



We drove up to Jacksonville for the monthly Art Walk produced by the Downtown Improvement District. Other cities like Denver and St. Augustine also have events like this to promote art and their businesses. They do a great service to artists in Jacksonville and it looks like a good opportunity. It's very accessible. You could even arrive by boat! There was a big crowd around the London Bridge Pub at Ocean and West Adams St. Artists in the old public library building really suffered without air conditioning and lighting. I realize it's free.
I also came for the table tennis demonstration but it was just too hot for me. We wandered around until we found Hemming Park and the Museum of Contemporary Art. The staff there was very nice to let us in late after hours. They deserve more recognition as an art destination. It's up to artists now to improve their contribution to the event. I wish I knew who to credit for this mural with the UrbanCore.com sign in it. It was the most memorable thing I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment