Saturday, October 12, 2013

Visit to the Museum of Fine Arts in St. Pete

While in St. Petersburg, Florida I visited the Museum of Fine Arts. Its an cubic styled building on the waterfront. Best thing was the accessibility. We found a parking spot at the front door, which is actually in the back.They permit photos without flash so I was able to capture some details of paintings which attracted me. I wasn't familiar with these paintings before so I'm glad I went and saw something new for me.
This is a detail from Squire J. Vickers from 1927 titled "Cityscape With Sun". Its done on burlap giving it a rich texture of fabric. He was the chief designing architect of the NY City subway system until 1942 and was included in the 1913 Armory Show.

I also became interested in how hands were depicted in several paintings. This is a detail from George Luks, "The Musician" that's undated.

This is painted by Randall Davey circa 1920-25 titled "Portrait of Paul Robeson". Davey was a contemporary of John Sloan, Edward Hopper and George Bellows.


No comments:

Post a Comment